Using the ARTcapital Ghana website
Please note that the intellectual property rights in all content comprising or contained within this website address (www.artcapitalghana.com) is owned by ARTcapital Ghana, and other copyright owners as specified.
The contents of this website are published for your enjoyment. You may freely access and store the majority of the website’s contents on a temporary basis for the purposes of personal or private viewing, interaction or listening.
Reproducing content from the ARTcapital Ghana website
Website content, that is, ARTcapital Ghana copyright may be reproduced for the non-commercial purposes of research, private study, criticism and review or for limited circulation within an educational establishment (such as a school, college or university).
The following uses of ARTcapital Ghana copyright content are also permitted, except where other terms apply:
- Reproducing ARTcapital Ghana copyright content and ARTcapital Ghana owned copyright expired artworks, for non-commercial research, private study, criticism and review, or for the purposes of teaching and instruction within an educational establishment. Where any artworks are published, the source of the content must be identified and the copyright status of the content acknowledged, e.g. ‘Title, Artist, Date of Work, Photo: © ARTcapital Ghana, London [current year]’
- Limited quotation of ARTcapital Ghana copyright texts or transcripts, for non-commercial research, private study, criticism and review, or use within an educational establishment, with due acknowledgement and citation. Where any text content is published, the author and/or source of the content must be identified and the copyright status of the content acknowledged, e.g. ‘© ARTcapital Ghana, London [current year]’
- Reproducing ARTcapital Ghana copyright content for the purposes of an educational examination, by a recognised International exam authority
- Downloading ARTcapital Ghana copyright audio and video content for non-commercial offline listening or viewing
- Downloading and printing of ARTcapital Ghana copyright learning content, and whiteboard resources, for non-commercial educational use
- Embedding links to ARTcapital Ghana audio and video content, where embedding is offered
- Reusing content published under a Creative Commons licence under the terms of the licence specified (For example, the Digital metrics dashboard template)
- Embedding or loading ARTcapital Ghana news feeds (RSS)
However, the following acts are not permitted in respect of any of the content featured on ARTcapital Ghana’s website:
- Reproduction of website content for commercial purposes or any rental, leasing or lending of content obtained or derived from the website
- Any use of the ARTcapital Ghana logo, brand identities or ARTcapital Ghana trademarks without prior consent from ARTcapital Ghana
- Any considerable public dissemination, display or hosting of website content via any third-party platforms, including without limitation, the substantial or repeated extraction and/or storage of ARTcapital Ghana website content in any retrieval system or inclusion in any other computer program or work
- Reproduction of ARTcapital Ghana website content on any social media platforms, except where other terms allow
- Inaccurate or distorted reproductions, colour treatments, alterations or adaptations of website content, except where other terms allow
- Publication of any unauthorised translations or transcriptions of website content, except where other terms allow
- False attribution of authorial or copyright credits and the removal of any ARTcapital Ghana metadata from digital file formats
- Unauthorised text/data mining of website content and metadata
ARTcapital Ghana would usually regard the following uses of ARTcapital Ghana imagery as non-commercial activity:
- Use in free educational lectures and classes
- Use on an individual or group’s website discussing the artwork in question
- Use on websites that are primarily information-led, research-oriented and obviously non-commercial in nature, for example, the William Blake Archive and Wikipedia
- Use on personal social media accounts, provided the individual is not promoting themselves commercially.
Statutory exceptions to copyright also apply in certain situations. It is the user’s responsibility to satisfy themselves that an exception (such as fair dealing criticism and review, quotation, or reporting a current event) applies.
Creative Commons defines commercial use as “reproducing a work in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation”.
ARTcapital Ghana further defines commercial use as ‘use on or in anything that itself is charged for, on or in anything connected with something that is charged for, or on or in anything intended to make a profit or to cover costs.’
As well as obviously commercial activities such as merchandise production, use of ARTcapital Ghana images editorially in films and on TV, in publications that are sold, in advertisements and commercial promotions. ARTcapital Ghana would usually regard the following uses of ARTcapital Ghana imagery as commercial activity:
- Use online or in print by commercial organisations, including (for the avoidance of doubt) trading arms of charities
- Use on an individual’s website in such a way that adds value to their business, or for promotional purposes, or where offering a service to third parties
- Use of images by university presses in publications online or in print
- Use in publicity and promotional material connected with commercial events
- Unsolicited use of images by news media, including front covers and centre-page spreads
- Use in compilations of past examination papers
- Use by commercial galleries and auction houses.
Under charity law, conflicts can arise when one charity is seen as assisting another. Therefore ARTcapital Ghana needs to treat other charities (and their trading arms) as if they were ‘commercial’ organisations.
Sourcing images from the ARTcapital Ghana website
ARTcapital Ghana is committed to providing online access to as many of the works in its collection and Archive as possible, via the ARTcapital Ghana website.
ARTcapital Ghana actively develops agreements with copyright holders and other licensing agents for the artists they represent. Whilst these agreements enable ARTcapital Ghana to illustrate artworks, the permissions do not extend to any other party, unless specified.
However, many artworks are readily available as reproductions:
- To view free online at Art & artists
- To purchase as postcards and posters from
- To order as framed prints
- To license, purchase and download high-resolution digital files for commercial use at ARTcapital Ghana Images
- Commercial enquiries about other ARTcapital Ghana content (e.g. text, video or design work) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the further reproduction of artworks or any other images or content, made available by ARTcapital Ghana may constitute an infringement of copyright. It is therefore your responsibility to investigate and obtain permission from copyright holders or their agents before publishing such content.
- Photography at any of our exhibitions is allowed for personal, non-commercial purposes only. It is the visitor’s responsibility to ensure no copyright is infringed by checking with ARTcapital Ghana first. The use of flash and tripods is prohibited.
- Photography in the paying exhibitions is not permitted at any time.
ARTcapital Ghana is committed to respecting the intellectual property rights of others. We have therefore taken reasonable efforts to ensure that the reproduction of all content on the pages of the ARTcapital Ghana website and other digital publications (including but not restricted to, images, text and video) is done with the full consent of copyright owners. Depending on local laws, you may be unable legally to download or copy certain works in your country. It is your responsibility to ensure that your local law permits you to do this.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on this website for which you have not granted permission (or is not covered by a copyright exception) please contact ARTcapital Ghana in writing stating the following:
- Your contact details
- The full details of the material’s creator
- The exact and full web address (URL) where you found the material
- Proof that you are the rights holder and a statement that, under penalty of perjury, you are the rights holder or are an authorised representative.
The Copyright Office